Virtually Painless Tooth Extraction to Protect Your Oral Health
While preserving teeth is a priority in dentistry, tooth extraction may be necessary in some cases. Dr. Rick H. Heard is board-certified in periodontology and dental implant surgery with extensive training. At Gulf Coast Periodontics in Victoria, TX, he can perform gentle extraction to relieve pain caused by an infected or impacted tooth, or to prepare for orthodontic treatment. Our practice works with South Texas Anesthesia Group to provide safe sedation dentistry during your treatment for a supremely comfortable experience.
When Is Extraction Necessary?
There are several instances in which extraction may be the best solution:
- Your Tooth is Severely Damaged or Decayed
- If your tooth cannot be saved with a root canal treatment or other solutions, extraction is usually recommended.
- In Preparation for Orthodontic Treatment
- In some cases, your tooth may need to be extracted before undergoing orthodontic treatment to create enough room for proper alignment.
- Advanced Gum Disease
- If you suffer from advanced periodontal disease, your teeth may become loose as the supportive tissues recede. Once they become too loose, extraction is usually the only option.
- Your Wisdom Tooth Cannot Erupt Properly
- Often, there is not sufficient room in the jaw to accommodate wisdom teeth, causing them to become trapped under the gums. In most cases, they will need to be extracted.
Dr. Heard will work with your dentist to determine if extraction is necessary.
Under the care of a periodontist using advanced techniques, tooth extraction is a comfortable process that can greatly benefit your oral health.
Replacing Your Tooth
If you need one or more teeth extracted, Dr. Heard can also place dental implants. Dental implants replace lost tooth roots and provide outstanding support for crowns, bridges, and dentures. Dr. Heard is a member of the Academy of Osseointegration and The McGuire Institute™, and is highly qualified to provide implant dentistry.
Ensuring Your Comfort
Many patients are concerned that an extraction will be painful. However, at Gulf Coast Periodontics, our team strives to provide a virtually painless treatment experience. Dr. Heard is trained in advanced techniques to precisely and gently remove teeth. A local anesthetic will be applied to the treatment area before your procedure.
If you suffer from dental phobia or feel anxious about your extraction, you can request sedation. Drs. Derrick Garrett and Steven Janececk are board-certified anesthesiologists from South Texas Anesthesia Group who will administer and monitor your sedation throughout treatment.
The Extraction Process
When planning your treatment, Dr. Heard will use the latest technology to accurately identify which teeth require extraction. Depending on whether your tooth has fully erupted, a simple or complex extraction may be necessary. A simple extraction is fairly straightforward; Dr. Heard can use a special tool to loosen the tooth and remove it.
For a complex extraction, he may need to create an incision in the gums and remove some bone tissue to access the impacted tooth. In some cases, the tooth will need to be removed in pieces.
Under the care of a periodontist using advanced techniques, tooth extraction is a comfortable process that can greatly benefit your oral health. Contact us online or call us at (361) 573-1014 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Heard.